A motor vehicle service is a series of maintenance procedures carried out at a set time interval or after the vehicle has traveled a certain distance. The service intervals are specified by the vehicle manufacturer in a service schedule and some modern cars display the due date for the next service electronically on the instrument panel.
The completed services are usually recorded in a service book which is rubber stamped by the service center upon completion of each service. A complete service history usually adds to the resale value of a vehicle.
Maintenance tasks commonly carried out during a motor vehicle service include:
- Change the engine oil
- Replace the oil filter
- Replace the air filter
- Replace the pollen filter
- Replace the fuel filter
- Replace the spark plugs
- Check level and refill brake fluid
- Check level and refill power steering fluid
- Check level and refill Automatic Transmission Fluid
- Grease and lubricate components
- Inspect and replace the timing belt if needed
- Check condition of the tyres